The City of Brighton is hosting the annual Arbor Day Fifth Grade Poster Contest to give students the chance to show their creativity to raise awareness of trees and their important environmental role. The contest is statewide, but will also be held at a city level in Brighton. The winner of each Brighton school will move on to the state contest.
- 1st Place - Student: $100 gift card, tree (approximately eight feet tall), Arbor Day Foundation items and will be introduced to City Council
- 1st Place - Teacher: Tree (approximately eight ft. tall) and will be introduced to City Council
- 1st Place - School: Arbor Day will be celebrated with the 5th grade class, tree will be planted at the school and the 5th grade students will all receive seedling trees
- 2nd Place - Student: Tree (approximately eight ft. tall) and Arbor Day Foundation items
- 3rd Place - Student: Tree (approximately eight ft. tall)
*Note: Trees eight ft. tall can be planted at home or in a park.
- One entry per student
- Must be an original artwork created by a 5th grade student
- Entries should be done on 12-inch by 18-inch paper (or as close as possible to those measurements) to allow for duplication, display and framing
- The poster must relate to the contest theme - “Celebrate Trees in Our Community” must be on the poster, spelled correctly and legible
- Entries may be done in marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, and tempera paint
- Student’s name, grade, school, teacher’s name and contact phone number must be printed on the back of the poster in pencil
- Student’s first and last name must be written in the lower right-hand corner of the front of the poster
- Care should be taken to ensure the poster doesn’t get damaged
- Not allowed: Collages (no glue), computer or photo-generated art, matted, mounted, laminated, framed or folded entries, and display of names of commercial products, companies or organizations
- *Note: Entries become the property of the Colorado Tree Coalition and may not be returned
The deadline to submit an entry is March 31.
For details and how to participate, contact Adam Rhodebeck, City of Brighton Forester, at email@example.com or (303) 655-2048.