The Census Bureau is comprised of talented and innovative people who are passionate about their work. Our people are the reason the Census Bureau is known as the premier statistical organization in the world.
2020 Census Job Qualifications
Your constituents may be eligible for Census Bureau positions if they:
• Are a U.S. citizen.
• Are at least 18 years old.
• Have a valid Social Security number.
• Have a valid e-mail address.
• Complete an application and assessment questions. (For some positions, the assessment questions may be available in Spanish; however, an English Proficiency Test may also be required.)
• Are registered with the Selective Service System if they are a male born after December 31, 1959.
• Pass a criminal background check and a review of criminal records (including fingerprinting) as part of the Census Bureau’s hiring process.
• Do not engage in any partisan political activity while on duty.
• Have a current employment status that is (including law and regulatory enforcement jobs) compatible with Census Bureau employment (reviewed on a case-by-case basis).
• Are available to work flexible hours, including days, evenings, and/or weekends.
• Commit to completing training. (If offered a job, they will be paid for this training at a training pay rate.)
Most jobs require employees to:
• Have access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, unless public transportation is readily available.
• Have access to a computer with Internet and an e-mail account (to complete training).
2020 Census Job FAQs
We understand that questions can arise through the application and hiring process. If your constituents have questions, please direct them to the 2020 Census Job Frequently Asked Questions page at or our phone line 1-855- JOB-2020 (1-855-562-2020) where they can select "1" for technical help, "2" for more information about our jobs, or "3" to reach a local cen-sus office. They may also use the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339 for TTY/ASCII.