Bridge Street Widening Project
The City of Brighton, in cooperation with prime contractor Brannan Sand and Gravel, is set to begin a widening project on Bridge Street (Colorado Highway 7) at the beginning of August. The project work zone will stretch between 22nd Avenue and 42nd Avenue, impacting both east and westbound lanes. The current single through-lane road will be expanded to two through-lanes of travel in both directions, totaling four lanes by the end of the project. In addition to widening operations, crews will be installing raised medians and turn lanes, implementing new curbs and gutters, replacing four traffic signals, making Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant curb ramps and sidewalk improvements and upgrading utilities. These improvements are expected to reduce traffic congestion, create safer and more accessible travel paths for multimodal users and enhance the functionality of several intersection locations.
- The project is set to begin in early August and is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2025. This timeline is dependent on weather and resource availability and is subject to change.
- Normal working hours will be from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Crews may work on weekends as needed throughout the duration of the project.
- Work will be broken into three phases over the course of the project. These phases will include the following:
- Phase I: Removals, widening operations & utility upgrades.
- Phase II: Intersection improvements, including traffic signal replacements, sidewalk and ramp upgrades and curb and gutter implementation.
- Phase III: Paving operations, landscaping and beautification efforts, and final roadway striping.
- The following schedule is weather dependent and subject to change:
- After starting project operations in early September along Bridge Street, crews have focused on installing storm sewer pipe north of 27th Avenue to carry storm water from Bridge Street to a newly constructed retention pond north of the project zone.
- Though this work may not be directly visible from the roadway, the project team is making strong headway to upgrade and relocate utilities in preparation for widening operations on Bridge Street. These operations will continue for the next several weeks, with minimal anticipated impacts to the traveling public.
- After widening operations begin, motorists will begin to see traffic realignments, lane closures and reduced driving speeds within the project work zone.
- At least one through-lane of traffic will be maintained in both directions throughout the duration of the project.
- In the upcoming weeks, material trucks will be entering and exiting the roadway within the project zone, so drivers are encouraged to slow down, watch for workers and equipment, and leave plenty of space in between vehicles. Please be mindful and exercise extreme caution when traveling through construction areas.
Join us for a community meeting prior to the start of work. The meeting will be held at the Brighton Recreation Center from 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 8. Meet the team, ask questions and gather resources for the upcoming construction.
Project Contact Information
- Hotline: 970-880-4318
- Email: BridgeStreetWidening@gmail.com