Bridge Street Widening Project
The City of Brighton, in cooperation with prime contractor Brannan Sand and Gravel, is set to begin a widening project on Bridge Street (Colorado Highway 7) at the beginning of August. The project work zone will stretch between 22nd Avenue and 42nd Avenue, impacting both east and westbound lanes. The current single through-lane road will be expanded to two through-lanes of travel in both directions, totaling four lanes by the end of the project. In addition to widening operations, crews will be installing raised medians and turn lanes, implementing new curbs and gutters, replacing four traffic signals, making Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant curb ramps and sidewalk improvements and upgrading utilities. These improvements are expected to reduce traffic congestion, create safer and more accessible travel paths for multimodal users and enhance the functionality of several intersection locations.
Travel Impacts (Updated 2/23/24)
The following schedule is weather dependent and subject to change:
- Working hours will take place from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Crews will continue to grade for pavement widening and relocate utilities on Bridge Street between 22nd Avenue and 40th Avenue. Lane shifts are in place within this stretch with a single lane of thru-traffic open in both directions. These traffic reconfigurations will remain in effect for the duration of Phase I of the project, which is expected to continue into the spring.
- For drivers traveling westbound on Bridge Street, there will be no left turns onto 27th Avenue. Drivers are encouraged to continue west to make a lefthand turn at 22nd Avenue.
- Temporary localized closures may take place throughout the project zone throughout the week.
- Starting the week of March 4, there will be access limitations at the S 40th Avenue and Bridge Street intersection with detour routes in place. The project team will communicate more about the upcoming impacts next week.
- Speed limit reductions are in place within the project zone.
- Trucks and heavy equipment will continue to enter and exit the roadway within the project zone, so drivers are encouraged to slow down, watch for workers and equipment, and leave plenty of space in between vehicles. Please be mindful and exercise extreme caution when traveling through construction areas.
- The project is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2025. This timeline is dependent on weather and resource availability and is subject to change.
- Normal working hours will be from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Crews may work on weekends as needed throughout the duration of the project.
- Work will be broken into three phases over the course of the project. These phases will include the following:
- Phase I: Removals, widening operations & utility upgrades.
- Phase II: Intersection improvements, including traffic signal replacements, sidewalk and ramp upgrades and curb and gutter implementation.
- Phase III: Paving operations, landscaping and beautification efforts, and final roadway striping.
- Hotline: 970-880-4318
- Email: BridgeStreetWidening@gmail.com