Historic Preservation Commission
Brighton Historic Preservation Commission Meetings
Agendas and Minutes:
Our Mission: The Brighton Historic Preservation Commission seeks to preserve the heritage of Brighton for future generations.
Our Purpose: To oversee the protection, enhancement, and perpetuation of historic sites and structures in Brighton. To encourage and promote general interest and collect data for the history of Brighton.
Our Vision: To develop a community where preservation is an integral part of community and economic development and where the economic benefits of preservation are celebrated.
The goals of the Brighton Historic Preservation Commission are to:
- designate, preserve, protect, enhance, and perpetuate those sites, structures, objects, and districts of the City;
- foster civic pride in the beauty of the past;
- stabilize the economic vitality of such sites;
- enhance the City’s attraction to tourist and visitors;
- promote the use of outstanding historic or architectural sites;
- cooperate with state and federal historic preservation efforts; and,
- maintain Certified Local Government (CLG) Standards.
The Brighton Historic Preservation Commission is responsible for:
- reviewing resources designating historic sites and making decisions on alterations to historic sites
- assisting owners of historic properties on physical or financial aspects of historic preservation
- developing and assisting in public education programs focused on historic preservation
Sub-Committee Meeting Schedules:
Grants Committee - meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month - 4 p.m. - 5 p.m. at City Hall in the Eagle Conference Room on the 2nd Floor, 500 South 4th Avenue.
Events Committee - meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month - 6 p.m. in the Historic Preservation Commission Office at Historic City Hall, 22 South 4th Avenue.
Historic Properties / Outreach Committee - meets on the 4th Thursday of the month - 6:30 p.m. in the Historic Preservation Commission Office at Historic City Hall, 22 South 4th Avenue.
- Sara Dawson - Chair
- Dick Hodge - Vice-Chair
- Catherine Johnson - Treasurer
- Jo Elizabeth Pinto
- Sage Naumann
- Mardita Murphy
- Vacant - Alternate
Vacant - Alternate
- Ann Taddeo - City Council Alternate
- Mark Humbert - City Council Representative
- Diana Hernandez - Youth Liason
- - Youth Liaison
If you are interested in being a member of the Brighton Historic Preservation Commission, please click on the Vacancies tab in the left column and you will be redirected to a page with the requirements, vacancy information, and application.
Historic Preservation Commission Application Questions (PDF)
Historic Preservation Office and Staff:
- Emma Lane, Associate Planner - Historic Preservation
- Sheryl Johnson, Administrative Assistant
- Bri Schreck, Museum Specialist
- Mark Heidt, Assistant Parks and Recreation Director/Grants