Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention
NEW: The Brighton Office for Victim Assistance (BOVA) was awarded a Colorado Auto Theft Prevention Authority (CATPA) grant in the amount of $381,594.
The grant will provide a maximum of $600 in tow fees for recovered stolen vehicles to 600 victims of auto theft in the communities of Brighton, Commerce City, Fort Lupton and Lochbuie, while funding lasts. This project also funded 600 steering wheel locks for victims whose vehicles are recovered to help prevent future victimization. The program is active now through June of 2024, and has already helped several victims pay their tow fees. To contact BOVA about this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-655-2308.
Auto Theft Victim Tips
- Step 1: Contact law enforcement or call 911 in an emergency
- Step 2: Call your insurance provider
- Step 3: Make a list of items stolen
- Step 4: Cancel Credit Cards and notify the credit bureaus if your identity may be compromised
- Step 5: Change your locks if your house or job keys were stolen
Do you own one of the top ten stolen vehicles in the Denver Metro Area?
Auto Theft Prevention Tips
- Never leave your car running unattended
- Lock your doors every single time
- Always park in well-lit areas
- Don’t keep a spare set of keys in the car
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle or place them in the trunk hidden from view
- Buy comprehensive insurance that covers stolen vehicles and stolen vehicle components like Catalytic Converters
- Report suspicious activities to a non-emergency police line
- Do a self risk assessment using lockdownyourcar.org and assess how vulnerable your car may be to theft
- Invest in a vehicle security or alarm system, or other theft prevention devices such as steering wheel locks, parking boots, and kill switches