Fix a Leak Week 2018
Every Drop Counts
Nearly 1 trillion gallons of water are wasted in U.S. homes each year from easy-to-fix leaks. That’s why The City of Brighton Utilities Department is participating in Fix a Leak Week, March 19 through March 25, 2018, and we encourage you to join us.
Sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) WaterSense® program, Fix a Leak Week is an opportunity to improve the water efficiency of your home by finding and fixing leaks. In the average home, household leaks waste more than 10,000 gallons of water each year. That’s the amount of water needed to wash 270 loads of laundry!
Here’s how you can address leaks found at home:
- Check for leaks. Look for dripping faucets, showerheads, sprinklers, and other fixtures. Also check for toilets with silent leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring into the tank and seeing if it appears in the bowl before you flush. Don’t forget to check irrigation systems and spigots too.
- Twist and tighten hose and pipe connections. To save more water without a noticeable difference in flow in your bathroom faucet, twist on a WaterSense labeled faucet aerator.
- Replace the fixture if necessary. Look for WaterSense labeled models, which are independently certified to use 20 percent less water and perform as well as or better than standard models.
As a WaterSense partner concerned with preserving our nation’s water supply, the City of Brighton Utilities Department help you learn more. We will be hosting a Showerhead Exchange Program for residential customers. Brighton residents can bring in up to 2 old, inefficient showerheads per household to City Hall March 19-23 in exchange for a water conservation kit that includes a WaterSense labeled showerhead, two faucet aerators, a kitchen sink aerator, and toilet tank leak detecting tablets. Participants must be the homeowner. Kits are available while supplies last. Participants must be a City of Brighton Utilities customer and are required fill out appropriate program forms. Showerhead Exchange Program form and program rules.
We also offer rebates on water efficient appliances, check out the program page for more information: http://www.brightonco.gov/588/Water-Efficient-Appliance-Rebates
Mark your calendar: Fix a Leak Week is March 19 through March 25, 2018. Grab a wrench or contact your favorite handy person, plumber, or certified irrigation professional to address leaking toilets, faucets, showerheads, and irrigation systems around your home.
- Take the WaterSense pledge https://www.epa.gov/watersense/im-water-pledge.
- “Like” WaterSense on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EPAWatersense/ and follow WaterSense on Twitter https://twitter.com/EPAwatersense for the latest tips and events.
- Visit the WaterSense website to learn more https://www.epa.gov/watersense.