Are you interested in serving your community? Brighton City Council nomination packets are now available from the City Clerk’s office on the fourth floor of City Hall, 500 S. Fourth Ave.
The packet includes a ward map and information on financial reporting requirements. Council winners are determined by votes in their respective wards of residence, and mayoral candidates are elected city-wide. Mayor and council members are elected to four-year terms.
Council and mayoral hopefuls are required to return their petitions with the names of 25 qualified electors from their specific wards (or from any of the four wards for mayoral candidates) by 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 28.
Here are some key dates if you’d like to become a candidate:
- Aug. 8 – First day that petitions for nominations may be circulated
- Aug. 28 – Last day to circulate petitions for nominations; petitions must be filed with the City Clerk
- Aug. 29 – City Clerk draws lots for Councilmember candidate placement on ballot
- Sept. 1 – Last day to file an affidavit of intent to run as a write-in candidate
- Sept. 5 – City Council approves resolution certifying the ballot content
- Nov. 7 – Election Day
If you are interested in becoming a candidate or have questions about the election process, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 303-655-2056 or visit www.brightonco.gov/212/Elections-Voting.